Its 7am and the truck has just arrived at St Aidens Church in Bryndwr. Loaded up with 50 crates of fruit and veggies for the Bryndwr Fruit & Veggie Co-op.
The crates are quickly unloaded with a team of strong helpers and stacked into neat rows for pick packing.
Each order gets a bag of veggies and a bag of fruit, all very fresh and in excellent condition. They are prepaid, cost $10 each and are worth about $25 each.
Today 518 prepaid orders were made up to be distributed all over Christchurch.194 for St Aidens, Bryndwr and 324 for New Brighton, Shirley, Sydenham, etc. Numbers have skyrocketed since the quakes from about 120 because a lot of people are very hungry.
10Kg bags of washed spuds are available for $10 on special pre-order.
The fruit and veggies are purchased each Tuesday by Craig Dixon of Christchurch Cathedral from a farmers market.
In a few weeks time, Addington Action will set up another packing centre for South Christchurch. This will supply packs of fruit and veggies each Wednesday to these distribution centres.
- Opawa Baptist
- Sydenham Community Centre
- Manuka Cottage
- Rowley Resource Centre
- 10 Volunteers to help unload and pack each week for an hour
- Cash float (donations please)
- Some basic equipment like 50Kg scales, sack barrow, rubbish bin, broom
- Cartons of new plastic bags
- A subcommittee to run the packing operation, handle the orders, pay the farmers market, return the plastic crates etc.